4.7/5 - (40 votes)
Usually, apps invite us to stay home and do as little as possible.
Meanwhile, Strava’s creators ask us we do the exact opposite:
Get outdoors as often as we can and make big efforts.
Strava started as a simple running app and now offers more than 140 sports activities, welcoming between 1 and 2 million new users every month.
How can we explain such success?
In this episode, my guest is Michael Horvath, the co-founder and CEO of Strava, to answer that.
According to him, he owes his success to 5 principles:
- Start small;
- Stop talking and take action;
- Study the role of V.C;
- Listen to your customers and not potential investors;
- Whenever possible, live according to Bruce Lee.
From Harvard to Silicon Valley, Michael Horvath’s life and career could have the appearance of a classic American success story.
That’s without counting on his Swedish pragmatic side, without bullshit nor business books.
Discover in this episode:
- What a Sweden-infused company implanted in the USA looks like;
- Why comradery can also be useful to capitalists;
- What are the (dis)advantages of bootstrapped growth vs. VC growth;
- How the Strava community can prevent 127 Hours-type dramas;
- Why it’s better to flirt on Strava than Tinder;
- The KPIs to aim for when developing a freemium product;
- Why it’s always better to treat your employees like stars.
As a bonus, Michael offers a 60-day free trial to Strava’s premium service. To benefit from this offer, please visit https://www.strava.com/subscribe/gdiy
With Michael, we referred to previous GDIY episodes:
- #300 – Mathieu Blanchard – Ultratrail et Aventure – Commencer le running à 26 ans et devenir une légende de l’ultratrail
- #306 – Fanny Moizant – Vestiaire Collective – Bâtir un empire de la seconde main pour une consommation plus responsable
- #220 – Adrien Miniatti – Luni – Créer en 3 ans un leader mondial autofinancé sur l’Appstore
Interested in sponsoring Génération Do It Yourself or in building a partnership? Please contact my label Orso Media via this form.
👇 Suivez également le podcast GDIY sur les réseaux !
Résumés des épisodes, articles sur l’entrepreneuriat et le monde du podcast en France.
5 min de lecture
4 min de lecture
7 min de lecture